Le boo had his birthday a couple of days ago and I baked him a fabulously decadent cake. I am not a professional baker and my cake making resume doesn’t go further than cupcakes and those home made naked cakes. I certainly had never decorated a cake before but after hubby flat out refused to let me order him a cake I took it upon myself to bake him one because every foodie knows that a birthday is not complete without a birthday cake!
So here’s my recipe for the chocolate and vanilla marble cake.
1. 2 and a 1/2 cups of flour
2. 225g of unsalted butter
3. 1 cup icing sugar
4. 1 cup granulated sugar
5. 2/3 cup milk
6. 4 large eggs
7. 4 teaspoons of vanilla essence
8. 1 teaspoon of salt
9. 2/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
10. 4 teaspoons baking powder
For the cream and decoration
1. 1 pack of malteasers
2. 1 pack of M&Ms
3. 1 cup of coconut candy
4. 1 cup of peanuts
5. 4 packs of whipped cream powder chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavor
6. 1 stick of unsalted butter (200g)
7. 2 cups of icing sugar
8. 1/3rd cup of milk
9. 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
10. Cappuccino wafer stick
1. Preheat oven (most Nigerian ovens come in low, medium and high. I let mine preheat on medium) then grease your cake pan. I used a 9 inch Teflon cake pan. Rub butter on the sides of the pan and lightly dust it with flour.
- Get a mixer! They have some pretty affordable ones available in stores and online. Mixing butter and sugar by hand is tiring and for a woman who has to multitask an electronic mixer allows you do other things while it creams. Allow the butter to melt a little at room temperature before putting it in a mixer. I used the K- beater in my Kenwood kitchen machine and set it to medium. Put the butter in first and let it mix till it is fluffy then add the sugar (both granulated and icing sugar) and allow it cream till fluffy.
- Break your eggs into a bowl and add the vanilla essence and whisk them together. Add the mixture to the butter and sugar into the mixer.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl and add it to the mixer.
- When thoroughly mixed, divide the mix into 2 halves. Leave half in the mixer and add the cocoa powder to the one in the mixer and allow it mix together.
- Get your greased cake pan and put in the cake mix from each half spoon by spoon alternating vanilla and chocolate. When it’s all in, get a clean wooden spatula or the handle of a long spoon and draw a Z in the cake mix once or twice to give the cake it’s marble appearance.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick put into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Do not open the oven before it’s 45 minutes to prevent your cake from collapsing which might happen if a cold draught gets in.
- When the cake is done put it on a cake stand to cool.
- Wash your mixing bowl and put in the butter, whipping cream powder, milk, icing sugar and vanilla essence and allow it mix until it forms a thick cream.
- Refrigerate the cream for 10-20 minutes.
- Put the cake on an elevated stand and scrape off any burnt edges.
- Use a spatula to slather cream all over the cake and the sides of the spatula to smoothen the cream so that the thickness is even. Save some of the cream.
- Put the cake in the fridge for 5-10 minutes so the cream sets a bit
- Get a board and rolling pin and grind the cup of roasted peanuts till they are crushed to very small pieces, set aside.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the wafers into two or three pieces to fit the height of the cake.
- Divide the M&M’s according to colours
- Bring out the cake from the fridge and sprinkle the peanuts at the base of the cake all around
- Line the sides of the cake with cappuccino wafers and put an M&M on top of each cylindrical wafers, the cappuccino helps the M&M stick to the wafers.
- Pour the coconut candy in the center of the cake and use M&M’s to spell out the birthday message on coconut candy.
- Line the top of the cake with M&M’s and malteasers but leave space between the big balls and the little balls.
- Get your remaining cream and a piping set and draw a twist out decoration on the base of the cake with the icing, all you need to do is have a straight line of cream and gently twist it so it forms a ring.
- Also draw a line of cream with a wider nozzle in between the malteasers and the M&M’s and around the coconut candy.
And that’s how you make a home-made decadent fabulous cake.
For questions and clarifications please drop a comment. Thank you.