As we begin the new year, I want you to look in the mirror, take a deep breath, brace yourself and say from the depths of your heart that “THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO TAKE CHARGE!”. Yeah you heard me, no more sitting in the back seat while people, events, old habits and reckless decisions drive you through the town of mediocrity and into the valley of destruction.
When I first heard my mentor Rev Ben Akhigbe II speak those words “Take charge”, I felt a spark ignite within my very soul. That was exactly what I needed to do. I had to stop blaming the system or the economy or the people around me. I needed to stop relying on them like they were guide dogs or I was helpless. The truth is that life is tough and more often than not, that break you desperately need is NOT gonna fall in your laps like a bag of cherries and making or breaking a couple of half-hearted new year resolutions is NOT gonna change who you are or more importantly where you are headed in life.
You need to TAKE CHARGE physically, mentally, socially, financially and spiritually this year if you expect it to be the golden year of your dreams!
Here are five points to serve as indicators that YOU are now in charge of your affairs:
1. Your CV gets updated before the end of the year. Do a course, acquire a new skill, get a degree etc Just make sure you have something to add to it this year.
2. You finish something. Many of us are surrounded by heaps of unfinished business. Abandoned projects litter our lives and we blame them on everything and everyone except our inability to take charge. The men on Forbes richest didn’t have it easy trust me but being resilient is key!
3. You set yourself free: From that relationship going nowhere or that job that makes you sick or that toxic friendship. There’s nothing like freedom.
4. You create a box called conquering impossibilities and fill it with mementos of stuff you achieved against all odds. Scared of water, learn to swim. Take charge of that phobia, that impossibility and that disability and aim for the sky.
5. You find a reason to smile everyday: YOLO YOLO YOLO! You only live once! Take charge of that thing that makes you lose your smile, that threatens to give you a headache. God has already given you dominion now you need to TAKE CHARGE!
No more complaining about things you think you can’t change. No more saying ‘it is well’ and relapsing into the pseudo-comfort of complacency. NO more MR NICE GUY.
HAPPY NEW YEAR CHUTZPAH FAM!